Monday, December 26, 2011

Cooking philosophy???

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines a philosophy as-

phi·los·o·phy noun \fə-ˈlä-s(ə-)fē\
1 a (1) : all learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts
b : a discipline comprising as its core logic and aesthetics

2 a : pursuit of wisdom
b : a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means
c : an analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs

So what is dump and stir and how does it fit in the description of a philosophy?
Well that's what this first post is here to tell you.

Growing up when I asked my mother how to make an item she was preparing for dinner the answer was invariably "Oh dump some of (whatever item) and add some of (another item) and stir it around" soon we just called anything we were having for dinner as "dump and stir".

This is the way I learned to cook a lot of what I make. I am not saying that there aren't recipes I used but somehow I always end up "dumping" a little of this or that to tweak the recipe.

I have noticed more and more people don't cook. They eat out, they open a box and prepare per instructions on the box or they microwave something frozen and pre-prepared I even know a family that eats protein bars and sports drinks 3 meals a day that to me is insane, Food should be enjoyed not tolerated.

What I hope to do with this blog is to help those that say "Oh I can't cook"
I will be posting a new "recipes" once a week, I will also share tips and tricks I have learned so that when you make something all your family and friends think you have slaved away to prepare something wonderful and you know you got to play mad scientist or modern artist in the kitchen.

I would love your help naming my Sunday recipe posts, be creative post your ideas and I will send a random person a recipe card holder and cards to start your new collection of dump and stir recipes.

2 comments:

  1. I think over the years we came up with a few good names for the food I stired together. Do you remember Teton Dam? I thought of it a few days ago. Maybe you can share that one some time. I love the idea for your blog. Love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, new recipes!!! I can't wait to see what you do with this!

    ReplyDelete