Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Here's to a HOT New Year!


So I was going to post a new recipe every Sunday but I wanted to give you a head start on something for New Year's Eve. I am a hot head, not temperamental (hush all of you) I LOVE spicy food. Mexican, Thai, Szechuan, Indian I love it.

So its only right that to ring in the new year properly you need to have something HOT! Usually New Year's Eve means a party so this recipe is something you can adjust the amount to suit just a few or a whole crowd, it also keeps about a week in the fridge so if you're a sad and lonely person ringing in the new year you can make it for yourself.

Enough lets get on with the recipe for my world famous (okay maybe one day world famous)Salsa!

Salsa
1 bunch cilantro

1 160z can of whole tomatoes
3 Roma tomatoes
1 limes juice

3 jalapeno peppers

3 Serrano peppers
3 or 4 cloves garlic
peeled
splash white vinegar
pinch salt
cumin to taste

Here is the beauty of dump and stir dump this in your food processor until its the chunkiness you want and whala salsa.

Now I only use the leaves of the cilantro and throw out the stems but its not necessary, also you can hold back the liquid from the canned tomatoes if you like your salsa chunky, best of all you can change the number or even type of peppers to alter the heat. This is a fairly hot salsa for the average taste bud. You can just use jalapenos if you want it more mild, you can use fewer of either pepper to alter the heat level and if your really a hot head you can add more peppers.

Tips on altering the heat:

1) You want it really mild use Anaheim peppers instead of the jalapenos and the Serrano's

2) You want it REALLY hot add a habanero or Ghost pepper to the mix. (if I want to up the heat I just add more Serrano's, I find the habanero and Ghost chili to be sorta bitter)
3) If you are wary of how hot your salsa will turn out add in a few peppers, run the food processor for a few pulses to get it started then taste, you can always add but can't subtract
4) Tragically you have made it too hot try adding a few more tomatoes and lime this should bring the heat down some.
No promises though, if its to hot for you put it in a Gladware container and take it and a bag of chips to work, surely someone there is man enough to eat it. (usually it's the little 5' nothing 98 lb girl that will eat the whole bowl while the big linebacker types are afraid of it)

I hope you can find a use for your first dump and stir recipe be it a New Year's Eve party or just your morning eggs.
Enjoy, Carin

1 comment:

  1. Your link doesn't work. I found the blog by checking out your profile. I thought I'd give you the heads up. I'll be back though... I love recipes.

    ReplyDelete